Thursday, March 29, 2012

Jae Hyun Park / A Sense of Place/ Mon 9~11


(Introduction to Academic Writing (1)) Mon.12

Jon H. Bahk-Halberg

Park Jae Hyun(박재현)201101411

Due date: 2012/3/29

Topic: descriptive writing about a place

 

I, HUFS, Longest time

 

                There is a place that I spend most of my time in HUFS, a HUFS library.  And there is one particular seat that I always sit. I think if you climb stairs in library to fourth story and push the transparent glass door to 1st Study Room you would probably see me sitting at the right corner. 1st Study Room is quite and warm place for me. This room can be divided into two parts, laptop room and open space for study. In laptop room temperature is little higher because this room is surrounded by glass walls.  There are only 16 seats in laptop room and plus, distance between seats is very narrow because it is quite a small room.  And each seat is isolated by small wooden walls installed in each seat.  Although this room is quite stuffy because of hot air and small spaces it is a good place to use your laptop. Every seat has 220V socket which is able to be plugged two electronic devices at once. In addition you can enjoy free wifie with five bars. If you look around open space for study you would probably notice lots of piled books on concrete line underneath windows. Since this space opens for around a clock people who study here almost every days just stack their books in the corner or in other spaces just for convenience despite possibilities of losing books. And it is quite wide place considering 268 people can study here at once. One of reasons that I like this space is that there is no isolated space unlike laptop room. Instead of isolated seat there are long rectangular tables so that twelve people can share by six people sitting each long side. As you just enter the door you will see ten long tables in left and wide passage way and eleven long tables in left. Distance between tables is enough while space between seats is little bit close so I prefer not to seat close to people because I carry lots of belongings such as laptop, paper dictionaries and so on. It is warm and usually clean plus there are always lots of people studying. This is why I like this place. I am always stimulated by seeing other peoples' studying hard.


3 comments:

  1. I made a spelling mistake!
    in the fifth line from the bottom its 'another door that goes to the open space'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about the confusion, the first comment is a mistake!!
    Hi this is Kahee Lee.
    I also spend some time at the school library.
    I've never studied at the 4th floor, but I could imagine how it would look like when I read your writing. You mainly used the sense of sight in your paragraph, and I think that you mentioning about the place being warm can be an example of the sense of touch. I think that if you change the order of your writing it would be a bit easier to read. If I am right, the first thing that people see when they go to the study room would be the open space. If so, I think it would be better to write about the open space first and then discribe the laptop room. Thats all and see you in class :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Introduction to Academic Writing (1)) Mon.12
    Jon H. Bahk-Halberg
    Park Jae Hyun(박재현)201101411
    Draft 2
    Topic: descriptive writing about a place

    I, University, Longest time

    If you are a university student where would you spend most of your time? In my case my university library’s fourth story’s 1st Study room is the answer. For me there is even one particular seat that I love to sit. You’d probably find me if you enter the transparent glass door to 1st Study Room, sitting at the very right corner. 1st Study Room is quite, warm and this is the only study room which opens around the clock. There are mainly two sections in this place, laptop room and open space for study. If you just enter the glass door and see left side you would see opaque glass walls. This is small, stuffy laptop room considering that only 16 seats are in it and distance between seats is narrow. This room is hot like greenhouse because it is surrounded by glass walls. About the seat, each seat is isolated by small wooden walls. Plus every seat has 220V socket convenient for charging and you can enjoy free five bars WIFE. I think this is a good place for using laptop computer but not too long because I’m afraid you may feel dizzy because of stuffy air. If you look around open space for study, the first thing you can easily notice is that lots of piled books on concrete structure projecting inward underneath windows. These are from students so called library warms. Because they come to library every day they tend to stack their books or other belongings such as water bottle or cushion at the corner or at other spaces despite possibilities of losing books. Open space for study is quite wide place considering roughly 270 people can study. About the seats, it is not isolated unlike laptop room. Instead, there are long rectangular tables which twelve people can share by the six sitting at each long side. Distance between tables is enough while seats are little close to each other. There are ten long tables and wide passage way and eleven long tables in window side. I like this place because there are always lots of people studying even in the night. I usually get stimulated by looking at other peoples’ studying hard.

    ReplyDelete