Thursday, March 29, 2012

Jeong Hyen Joo/ A sense of place/ Mon9-11

 

    One of my favorite places is a restaurant which is called 'Ho Jup Mong'. As you can see from the name, this restaurant specializes in chinese cuisine. When you open the door, the first thing that you can see is a big chinese lamp which is hanging from the ceiling. It is a red and round lamp which brightens the room with a soft glow. It harmonizes with the overall interior decor. And when you see the wallpaper, you can easily imagine a fabric of red chinese dress which glitters with golden flowers and dragons. Also, when you see the floor, you can picture a night sky with the myriads of stars because it twinkles. There are only 6 tables because it is a small restaurant, and each table has 4 chairs. These tables are small, black, rectangular, and those are decorated with a beautiful flower pattern. Also, the chairs have a same color and pattern of the table. Because this chair is a hard tree stool, it is so uncomfortable when you sit on it. At the right side of the restaurant, there are some chinese ceramic dolls and bottles by the window. While I sit by the window and wait for the food, I can hear the music which is a chinese song. The last thing that I heard was a song named 'Chum Mil Mil'. Also, while I listen to the music, I can smell the delicious chinese food which has a racy flavor. It smells sweet, salty and spicy. At the entrance of the restaurant, there is a counter with a staff who is wearing a chinese dress as a uniform. So, when I come to this restaurant, I can feel that I'm in China even though I've never been there. I've always come to this place when I want to eat delicious chinese food, and visit the China without boarding on a plane.

3 comments:

  1. Hi this is Kahee from writing class.
    I think you've described the chinese restaurant in detail. I could find at least 3 type of senses in your paragraph; sight, smell and hearing.
    I like that you used many kinds of senses, especially the sight. I feel like I can see how the inside of the retaurant looks like.
    I don't think that there is a lot to fix, but the sentence 'because this chair is a hard... sit on it' I don't think it is connected to the other sentences that well. It would be better if you chnage the connecting word or change the agent into yourself and express how you feel about the chair instead of giving a general opinion. Otherwise that, and some grammatical mistakes I think you've wrote very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, HyeonJu. I enjoyed reading your paragraph. Thanks.

    I like your paragraph because you have described the restaurant vividly and lively. I think it was detail enough and even interesting. I was even surprised with your memory or imagination.

    But why didn't you write about the taste of the food? You wrote the smell of the food was tasty, but you didn't tell us the result. As long as the topic is 'Sense of place', I think you can write anything related to the sense of the place. Tell us how the food was.

    See you in the class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your feedback! I revised this writing based on your comments :-)

    One of my favorite places is a restaurant which is called 'Ho Jup Mong'. As you can see from the name, this restaurant specializes in Chinese cuisine. When you open the door, the first thing that you can see is a big Chinese lamp which is hanging from the ceiling. It is a red and round lamp which brightens the room with a soft glow. It harmonizes with the overall interior decor. And when you see the wall paper, you can easily imagine a fabric of red Chinese dress which glitters with golden flowers and dragons. Also, when you see the floor, you can picture a night sky with the myriads of stars because it twinkles. There are only 6 tables because it is a small restaurant, and each table has 4 chairs. These tables are small, black, rectangular, and those are decorated with a beautiful flower pattern. Also, the chairs have a same color and pattern of the table. It is so uncomfortable when you sit on the chair because it is made of a hard tree. I think it will be better if the chair is made of cotton or other things except the wood. At the right side of the restaurant, there are some Chinese ceramic dolls and bottles by the window. While I sit by the window and wait for the food, I can hear the music which is a Chinese song. The last thing that I heard was a song named 'Chum Mil Mil'. Also, while I listen to the music, I can smell the delicious Chinese food which has a racy flavor. What I like the most is a ‘Jamp pong’. It is a Chinese noodle which is made of hot sauce and lots of sea foods. It smells sweet, salty and spicy. When I taste it, I can feel the China more vividly. At the entrance of the restaurant, there is a counter with a staff who is wearing a Chinese dress as a uniform. So , when I come to this restaurant, I can feel that I'm in China even though I've never been there. I've always come to this place when I want to eat deliciou s Chinese food, and visit the China without boardin g on a plane.

    ReplyDelete