Friday, March 30, 2012

Youn Hee KIM / A sense of place / Mon 9-11

When I was in Ivory Coast (Africa), the place that I liked the most was a beach called Assinie. I always went there with my parents. It took about an hour and a half to get there by car. On the way to the beach, there were few cars and there were also fruits sellers along the street. If we keep going with the windows opened, we could hear those sellers who say to buy their fruits and we could smell the scent of well ripped mangoes. We stopped our car to buy those mangoes as the odor of the fruits fascinated us. When we were about to arrive on the beach, we could smell the sea and a sandy beach was spread out before our eyes. And it felt like I ate salty things when I was sniffing the air. We got out of our car, unpacked our bags under the parasols set on the sandy beach. And we had to be always careful to walk on the sand because there were pointed shells. But walking on the beach was better than worrying about the shells for the smooth and soft feeling. The sea was not like any other sea color but something like emerald color mixed with mud. It was not that pretty and I was a little disappointed about that. We could also see fishermen with small wooden boat on the sea. In addition, the beach was surrounded by beautiful palm trees and many cabins or traditional restaurants were located near it. The restaurants gave out fishy smell and peculiar African sauce. They were selling coconuts that they just picked up. We could taste very cool and fresh coconut after that the seller had cut off the coconut's shell. This place was so peaceful and my family and I could put aside worries and concerns every time we came.

2 comments:

  1. When I was in Ivory Coast (Africa), the place that I liked the most was a beach called Assinie. I always went there with my parents. It took about an hour and a half to get there by car. On the way to the beach, there were few cars and also fruits sellers along the street. If we keep going with the windows opened, we could hear those sellers who say to buy their fruits and we could smell the scent of well ripped mangoes. We stopped our car to buy those mangoes as the odor of the fruits fascinated us. When we were about to arrive on the beach, we could smell the sea and a sandy beach was spread out before our eyes. And it felt like I ate salty things when I was sniffing the air. We got out of the car, unpacked our bags under the parasols set on the sandy beach. And we always had to be careful to walk on the sand because there were pointed shells. But walking on the beach was better than worrying about the shells for the smooth and soft feeling. The sea wasn't like any other sea color but something like emerald color mixed with mud. It wasn't that pretty and I was a little disappointed about that. We could also see fishermen with small wooden boat on the sea. In addition, the beach was surrounded by beautiful palm trees and many cabins or traditional restaurants were located near it. The restaurants gave out peculiar African sauce and fishy smell. They were selling coconuts that they just picked up too. We could taste very cool and fresh coconuts after that the seller had cut off the coconuts' peel. This place was so peaceful that every time we visit there, my family and I could put aside worries and concerns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To Youn Hee from Sora

    What I like about this piece of writing is that I could know about an interesting place. I have never been there before and never heard about that place. But since I read your paragraph, I want to visit there later.

    I think you missed this assignment's main point. At this assignment we have to write about descriptive paragrph. But your paragraph is a little bit weak to being a descriptive paragraph. You'd better use more descriptive words.

    But these particular lines struck me as powerful. And it felt like I ate salty things when I was sniffing the air. I think this sentence is the most descriptive sentence.

    You mentioned that the sea's color is likely emeraled - mixed color. And at the next sentence you mentioned that you thought it's not pretty. I think it is kind of accured. It would be better you hold only one side.

    Using more descriptive words would be better to improve this paragraph.

    ReplyDelete