Thursday, May 3, 2012

Kahee Lee / A simple way to do jigsaw puzzles / Mon 9a.m.

       One of my hobbies is to do jigsaw puzzles when I have free time. I was into jigsaw puzzle since I was in kindergarten. I started collecting puzzles about six years ago. I usually match puzzles that have more than 1000 pieces. Some people think that jigsaw puzzles are hard and boring because there are a lot of pieces. However it's actually very easy if you know some tips. I taught these methods to one of my cousin who is in middle school, and even she was able to match a 1000 piece puzzle in a short time. First, take a seat where you have some extra space. Then spread out all the puzzle pieces and find the pieces that belong in the edge. You would want to start from the edge because the pieces are the easiest to distinguish from the others. When you are done with the edges, categorize the other pieces by the same colors or patterns. If you get suck while putting the pieces with same colors together, divide the pieces once more by shapes. Each puzzle piece has a different shape and size. So it is simpler to find the piece you need if you group them by shape and colors. Finally, take some time and enjoy the puzzle. And when you're done, put the completed puzzle into a frame and hang it somewhere. You can enjoy jigsaw puzzles and also decorate the house! As a result my room has a frame hanging already, and there are two more in the house. When you have time and you want to do something alone, this can be a nice hobby.

3 comments:

  1. Hello, this is Dana Eun from your writing class. I read your paragraph with much interest because I once tried to complete a 1000 piece puzzle and failed. I wish I could try once more and finish it with the help of your tips!

    Your paragraph has a topic sentence and I was able to identify the process you were going to describe. However, your topic sentence was not the first sentence so it was kind of confusing to find it.

    You provided background information about the process by writing about what your hobby is and how your tips helped your cousin.

    Your paragraph has time order words to help clarify the order of the steps and they are ‘first, then, and finally.’ However I wish you had used more of this kind of words in your writing.

    You explained how this process can be useful to the ones trying jigsaw puzzles for the first time and you even gave your own example of helping your cousin to finish the puzzle. However, you forgot to mention the tools needed for the process. In your case, they are a 1000 piece puzzle, some sufficient space to spread out the puzzle pieces and enough time.

    Your concluding sentence did not really restate the main idea in the topic sentences. Your topic was more about giving tips to the people doing jigsaw puzzles but your concluding sentence was about recommending puzzles as one’s hoppy.

    Good work and see you in class! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I'm Takgyun!
    Your writing was interesting. I think most of people have tried to solve puzzles, succeeded and failed. Your topic was interesting enough to get others' attention. After the hook, you introduced the process of solving puzzles using the words that clarify the orders such as 'first, then, finally'. It would be much better if you use variable words instead of them. Your main point seems to be the process of solving puzzles but I couldn't find the topic sentence which states it. I think you can write the topic sentence regarding the main topic. Also, the concluding sentence is not restating the topic sentence. It would be much better if you introduce and conclude the topic in a more explicit way. Thank you for sharing your paragraph and see you in class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kahee Lee
    Draft 2

    Many people think that jigsaw puzzles are boring and hard to do. However, jigsaw puzzles can be very easy and fun if you follow some steps. I was into jigsaw puzzles since I was very little, so I have my own know-how which I will introduce to you. I taught this method to one of my cousin who is in middle school, and even she was able to match a 1000 piece puzzle in a short time. First you have to get ready to start doing the puzzle. You should find a place that is wide enough to match the puzzle, and to spread the pieces. Second, spread out all the puzzle pieces and turn them so they are face side up. Next, find the pieces that belong in the edge, because they are the easiest to distinguish from the other pieces. When you are done matching the edges, categorize the rest of the pieces by color. And if you get stuck while putting the pieces with same colors together, divide the pieces once more by their shape. Each puzzle piece has its own particular shape, so it is much easier to find the piece that you need if you group them by shape and colors. Finally, take your time to enjoy the puzzle. And when you are done, you can put the completed work into a frame and hang it somewhere. You can both enjoy the puzzle and decorate your place! As a result my room already has a puzzle hanging on the wall, and there are two more in the house. If you know the tips of doing a jigsaw puzzle, it can be a easy hobby to enjoy your private time.

    ReplyDelete