Thursday, May 24, 2012

SunGyung Kim / the best job for me / Mon 1,2

 

A Translator, My Future Job

 

Attending to various courses from English Interpretation and Translation department, a translator, as an occupation has become very attractive for me. Actually, a translator used to be my dream job, but I was not that confident, because there was almost no information about how to become a translator. However, having learned this in classes and acknowledged what good attributes translators should have, I started thinking that the job really fits me well. First, the most important requisite to become a translator is a good language skill. Although it has not been a long time since I started learning English and it is far behind to be perfect, I am quite fast at absorbing it. Not only the aspect of skill, I am also very interested in speaking foreign language and feel excited, communicating with others who are using the language other than my mother tongue. Regarding this, my desire to learn foreign language, especially English, will make it easy for me to become a translator. On top of that, I prefer working alone at home than working in a company, spending most of my time with colleagues. Since I like individual work and always want to work professionally by exploiting my time the most, the fact that I can work on a project by myself, managing my own schedule is the most attractive aspect of taking a translator as a profession. Of course, I have to cooperate with my friends who are in the same field and build good rapport, I definitely want to be alone, when I have to do the job because it's not distracting. Considering these two reasons, I think a translator is a job that is the most appropriate for me.

 

2 comments:

  1. Hi I am Kim you jin. this is your comment.
    your writing is well organized. you arrange it well by the reasons you want to be a translator. your detailed reasons make me understantd why you want to be a translator. because i agree with your opinion, it is more interesting. however, if you add some more detailed information, it will be reliable. of course, your opinion is good and reliable by itself but informations like poll or something from news can support your opinion and supported by real informations is a good thing. for example, you can you the skills to be a translator based on a real survey. it will be more realisitc and make your writing more great.
    thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Translator, My Future Job (2)

    Attending to various courses from English Interpretation and Translation department, a translator as an occupation has become very attractive for me. Actually, a translator used to be my dream job, but I was not that confident, because there was almost no information about how to become a translator. However, having acknowledged what good attributes translators should have, I really started thinking that the job fits me well. The translation skills consist of six big clusters: language and literacy, communication, Making decisions, information technology, cultural understanding and project management. Of all those, according to one of my professors, the most important requisite is the first one, and this is my strong point. It proves that I understand the source language pretty well, at the same time have good writing skills in the target language, which usually is Korean. To be specific, although it is far behind to be perfect, I absorb English faster than others. Not only from the aspect of skills, I am also interested in dealing with English and excited when there’s any chance to communicate with native speakers of the language. Moreover, I am considered to be good at communication in translation classes. In my opinion, the translator should be the one who is able to express a source text’s meaning clearly, which largely depends on an innate ability. Regarding I am talented from this, my translation will be far better in several years, with my huge effort and a lot of experiences. Last, I love that there’s a lot of translation works I can do it alone at my home office. Of course, I cooperate with colleagues if necessary, but usually prefer doing work on my own and take the responsibility by myself. Considering this individualistic and independent characteristic, I would be happy to become a translator and deal with my own project. Now, I am just happy, imagining my future as a professional translator with a good reputation, and will do my best to achieve the position that fits me best.

    ReplyDelete