Thursday, May 31, 2012

SunGyung Kim/ a challenge that I faced/ Mon 1,2

Edema and Swimming

 

When I was thirteen years old, I went through hard time, suffering from an illness I had. Even since I was younger than then, my legs swallowed a lot and this was due to the edema. Although I was such a cheerful and lively girl, I couldn't walk for a long time and, of course, couldn't climb a mountain or spend enough time in a playground with friends. Every time I walked for somewhat long time or had to stay in the same posture in class, my legs became swollen so much and even it hurt me. The symptom continued for nearly a year, and finally right after I turned fourteen and entered a middle-school, I had to skip my first fieldtrip due to this edema. On that day, I still remember, I cried all day long in my room, feeling sorrow from cannot going to there and gathering together with new friends. Moreover, it was really a hard thing for me to focus on lectures. Since I was supposed to sit in front of a small desk all day at least in class, just sitting and staying focused was a difficult work. Seeing me suffering from the severe edema, my teacher who really cared me sincerely, recommended me take swimming class every morning and try to lessen the pain. Thanks to her advice, I talked to my mother and decided to take swimming class every day before going to the school. It was not an easy work. I had to wake up at five, getting ready to exercise and preparing for the classes at the same time. Also, since I got a weak body until I started it for the first time, It felt like I was in hell. However, for six months, all the symptoms from edema got increasingly better and I could stay focused in a static posture for a long time during classes. Thanks to my effort for two years since then, I almost became fine with my edema and even participated in a swimming race and got a medal. Regarding this, swollen legs and edema was once the most painful thing that annoyed me, but this , at the same time, was the driving force for my health now.

 

2 comments:

  1. Edema Made Me Stronger

    When I was thirteen years old, I went through hard time, suffering from an illness. Since I was under ten, my legs had swallowed a lot and this was due to the edema. I couldn’t even walk for a long time, and of course, couldn’t do something active such as enjoying school yard games and sports. Every time I had an outdoor activity, my legs became swollen so much and it hurt me. The symptom continued seriously for nearly a year. Right after I turned fourteen and entered a middle-school, my life became more dismal. During first several weeks of the semester when all the students start to get closer, I couldn’t easily make friends, because for me, it was difficult to spend time with others a lot. Instead of playing dodge ball with classmates, I went to the hospital with my mom. I also had to skip the first field trip from my middle school, and this made me cry for a whole day. Going through all these events, I felt so lonely at school as if there were nobody with me. Seeing me suffering from the severe edema, my considerate teacher recommended me take swimming class every morning. She mentioned that her husband once has similar symptoms with me, and saw these alleviated with regular swimming exercise. The teacher wrote me a letter, saying that she really wants to see me smiling among other students and that I can soon overcome the illness as well as make many friends. Being encouraged by her sincere advice, I started taking swimming class every day before going to the school. It was not an easy work. I had to wake up at five, getting ready to exercise and preparing for the classes at the same time. However, despite all the hardships, I tried to put much effort into curing the edema and also to get close with classmates. Surprisingly, for six months since I started swimming, pains from the illness got increasingly better. Thanks to this improvement, I started hanging out with friends and became cheerful and lively girl. Although the edema gave me depressing memories and hurt me a lot, meanwhile it helped me become stronger. Thanks to the experience of overcoming this challenge, I know now how to maintain sound body and sound mind, and became such an outgoing girl. There is nothing that makes me depressed or moody anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I'm sora.

    I love your paragraph. That might be tough tiime to you. Anyway it is touched and used expression very well. I really like it. I don't see any weak point on your paragraph.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete