Wednesday, April 4, 2012

SunGyung Kim/ A favorite piece of music / Mon1,2

Nos Rendez-Vous

 

     Nos Rendez-Vous is one of my favorite pieces of music these days. I heard it by chance at the Starbucks near HUFS. I was having a cup of coffee and tried to focus on my work, but an unfamiliar song caught my ears. It first sounded like English with a soft and light accent, but I couldn't understand a single word from it and then realized it was French. I was curious. Even though I don't speak French, not to mention not understanding it, the song was so attractive. It starts with a dramatic, surging introduction and then a feeble voice of a girl comes out. The melody is somewhat imposing but romantic and relaxing at the same time. When it comes to the climax of this song, it sounds like the singer is wailing miserably. Not knowing the name nor the lyrics, I used my smart phone application SoundHound to get those. The title was Nos Rendez-Vous, which means 'our rendesvous' by a literal translation but so called 'our love without affection'.  In the lyrics, the girl is bitterly regretting a past love affair. With the information, I could feel the song with more sympathy and it sounded even more plaintive. Listening to the song, I started dreaming of learning French in my thirties and I hope this could be realized. It made me preoccupied with French, a beautiful and emotional language.

 

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I am Yeonju An. I enjoyed reading your paragraph. Since I know the song that you've written about, it was more enjoyable to read.

    I thing you choose proper adjectives for describing the song and I understood what you wanted to say. I like the sentence "When it comes to the climax of this song, it sounds like the singer is wailing miserably." because, I cannot agree with you more. I felt the same thing while listening to this song, but I couldn't find a word to describe it. (But I don't mean that I like this song itself.;))

    But I think the last sentence is not conclusive at all. You started the paragraph talking about the song and but you ended it with saying that you like french. More or less, it breaks the unity of the topic.

    Since the purpose of this assignment was writing a descriptive paragraph that contains various senses, I think you can add some more details of other senses such as smell, taste and feeling from touch...

    See you in the class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nos Rendez-Vous

    Nos Rendez-Vous is one of my favorite pieces of music these days. I heard it by chance at the Starbucks near HUFS. I was having a cup of coffee and trying to focus on my work, but an unfamiliar song caught my ears. It first sounded like English with a soft and light accent, but I couldn’t understand a single word from it and then realized it was French. I was curious. Even though I don’t speak French, not to mention not understanding it, the song was so attractive. It starts with a dramatic, surging introduction by strings such as violins and violas, and then a faint voice of a young lady comes out. When the lady starts singing, strings fade and the tune is taken up by a guitar. The melody is somewhat imposing but romantic and relaxing at the same time thanks to the guitar sounds. The singer expresses her deep feeling through beautiful but sad melody. All the lyrics she talks about sounds so sorrowful and from this, I could guess that it has a tearful story. When it comes to the climax of this song, it even sounds like the singer is sobbing sadly. Not knowing the name nor the lyrics, I used my smart phone application Sound Hound to get those. The title was Nos Rendez-Vous, which means ‘our rendez-vous’ by a literal translation but so called ‘our love without affection’. In the lyrics, the lady was bitterly regretting her past love affair. With the information, I could feel the song with more sympathy and it sounded even more plaintive. The song lingers in my head, with its mesmerizing melody and lyrics, making me preoccupied with French, a beautiful and emotional language too.

    ReplyDelete