Monday, April 2, 2012

Tak-gyun Lee / A Sense of Place / Mon 9-11

     When I think of the sense of place, my high school first popped up in my mind. The first sense I think of my high school is the smell. My high school is located near the mountain. Because of the mountain, I could feel the fresh air everyday. The smell of the school was quite different from that of beyond the school. Especially on rainy days, the smell of raindrops on green leaves went through the nostrils with refreshing smells. Since my school was right next to the mountain named Wa-ryong, which is famous for "Frog boys", it is very eco-friendly. In the morning, birds sing, frogs croak, and crickets chirp. It was all those sounds which woke me up during my school days. However, it was not only the sounds but also the sunshine shining on my eyes which awoke me. Though buildings were not colorful, its white walls soothed my stress and feelings. And white snowy mountains in the winter washed all my pressures as a high school student away. As a high school student, I used to sleep a lot during classes. Napping during the class was the sweetest moments in my school life. Cushions laid on my head was so soft and cozy. One thing about school is its food. The food provided was excellent. Most of Korean students don't like their school food but we did enjoy it. Everyday, it was so difficult for us to wait for the upcoming lunch or dinner break. And mealtime was one of the best moments during the day. Thinking of my high school, I can feel all the five senses.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm Cho yoon jung!
    I liked your writing a lot!
    It is reallly detail and well described.
    Since, my school is surrounded my apartment I really like your school a lot! It seems really nice that the school is surrounded by a mountain! The whole sounds you mentioned in your writing is the thing I've never even imagined.
    But since it is describing the somewhat large place, it is little bit distracting about describing so many things. I think it could be better if you can concentrate on special spot in your school. Like, I'm not sure whether it is true or not, I think you can write about the smell of the mountain instead of the meal!
    Anyway, thx for sharing your special place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, this is Youn Hee KIM!
    I liked your writing too! Like what Yoon Jung said, my school was near several buildings of apartment and it was very stuffy. When I was reading your paragraph, I had a feeling that I want to visit your school because I felt that I could feel the nature there.
    I think you wrote all of the senses but I can't find the senses of touching and seeing. Maybe you wrote it as describing the mountains and the buildings but I couldn't really catch it.
    But I could exactely know what you heard, ate and smelled. I think if you gave more explanation about what you saw when you were in the school, it would be more better!
    Thank you for your writing!
    See you in class :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I think of the sense of place, my high school pops up first in my mind. The first sense I can think of from my high school is the smell. Since my high school is located near the mountain, I could breathe the fresh air everyday. The smell of the school was quite different from that of beyond the school. Especially on rainy days, the smell of raindrops on green leaves goes through the nostrils with refreshing smells. Also, I can think of the sounds. The mountain next to my school is named Wa-ryong, which is famous for "Frog boys", which means there ARE frogs. In the morning, birds sing, frogs croak, and crickets chirp. It was all those sounds which woke me up during my school days. However, it was not only the sounds but also the sunshine shining on my eyes which awoke me too. Though buildings were not colorful, its white walls soothed my stress and feelings. And white snowy mountains in the winter washed away all my pressures as a high school student. As a high school student, I used to sleep a lot during classes. Napping during the class was the sweetest moments in my school life. Cushions laid on my head was so soft and cozy. One thing I liked about school was its food. The food provided was excellent. Most of Korean students don't like their school food but we did enjoy it. It was so difficult for us to wait for the upcoming lunch or dinner break. And mealtime was one of the best moments during the day. Thinking of my high school, I can feel all those senses.

    ReplyDelete